Southeast PA Organizer
Every five hours a Pennsylvanian is lost to gun violence. As the Commonwealth’s leading gun violence prevention advocacy organization, we are hiring an organizer to expand our grassroots network, deepen our coalition and hold elected officials accountable in Delaware and Chester Counties as we work to end this epidemic.
Mass shootings like the Tree of Life massacre and school shooting threats have dominated public discourse on the issue and traumatized our young people. The daily toll of gun violence destroys families in communities like the City of Chester. While firearms are marketed as a means of self-protection, the reality is having the weapon in a home increases the likelihood of household members dying from suicide.
There are clear solutions. Extreme risk protection laws to temporarily remove guns from people in danger of harming themselves or others. Background checks and waiting periods to keep them out of dangerous individuals’ hands. Requiring firearm owners to report to police if their weapons are lost or stolen. Funding for community violence prevention programs.
That’s where our Southeast PA Organizer comes in. We believe the area is key to unlocking the gridlock on gun safety reforms. We’re planning to expand our existing network by recruiting new allies, building a stronger grassroots presence, and developing new coalitions to push legislators to act.
The Southeast PA Organizer will be responsible for representing CeaseFirePA in Delaware and Chester Counties as we grow the gun safety movement.
- Mobilize supporters and expand our base of volunteers. You’ll teach supporters how to understand our gun violence crisis and motivate them to use their voices to take part in actions such as lobbying, letter writing, canvassing, and more in the name of saving lives.
- Hold elected officials accountable. You’ll lobby those in power by meeting with them and organizing protests, town halls, marches, and other engagement events to push them to be better on the issue of gun violence prevention.
- Build strong partnerships and coalitions. You’ll network with faith leaders, medical professionals, anti-violence leaders, community activists, and law enforcement to build coalitions of committed partners advocating for common sense gun laws.
- Change the narrative on gun violence prevention. By harnessing the power of storytelling, you’ll raise the voices of survivors, gun owners, and public health officials to redefine our movement’s message.
- Drive new community engagement strategies. You’ll work with our team to develop and implement community engagement strategies to raise awareness for gun violence prevention policies.
- Demonstrated history of building close relationships with volunteers and allies.
- Compelling public speaking skills that motivate, persuade, and mobilize citizens to drive change.
- Detail oriented and comfortable to work in a fast paced environment.
- Ability to analyze and understand political landscapes.
- Self-starter able to work independently who enjoys creating and implementing new projects.
- Ability to communicate and interact effectively with people from different cultures and lived experiences.
LOCATION: Greater Philadelphia Area with strong preferences for Delaware and Chester Counties
COMPENSATION: $42,000+ based on experience. As a full-time position, the organizer is eligible for our excellent benefits package including full-covered health care, paid time off, and 401(k).
HOW TO APPLY: Send a cover letter and resume to Max Milkman at email@example.com with the subject line “Southeast Campaign Organizer.”
CeaseFirePA provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
We value a diverse workforce. CeaseFirePA encourages women, people of color, persons with disabilities, people with records of arrest or conviction, veterans, and lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender individuals to apply. We welcome and encourage applicants with non-traditional career paths. If you don’t exactly meet the qualifications outlined here, please apply and describe in your cover letter how your own experiences equip you to excel in this position.